ESL and Academic Programs


English as a Second Language (ESL)

Ready to learn or improve your English? LARAEC schools provide a variety of English as a Second Language classes (ESL Classes) to improve your reading, writing, listening and speaking skills in English. Your current skill level and goals determine where you start on your pathway. Schools offer in-person, online, and hybrid classes. Schools offer morning, evening, and weekend options.

To register for ESL classes:

  • Find a school near you
  • Take an assessment
  • Meet with a registration advisor to select the best course for you.

Classes are Free!!

Click the link below to find a school near you and begin your journey!

Evans2007001 (146)

Adult Basic Education (ABE)

Would you like to learn or improve your basic reading, writing, or math skills? LARAEC schools offer free classes. These classes use research-based teaching methods to build essential reading, writing, math, critical thinking, and problem solving skills using whole-group, small-group, and individual instruction.

The program serves:

  • Native English-speakers who would like to improve their literacy or math skills (below 9th grade level)
  • ESL transition students who would like to build comprehension, fluency, and writing in English
  • Concurrently enrolled high school students preparing for high school-level coursework.
Classes are free!!

DIPLOMA and HiSET/GED Preparation

LARAEC schools offer students the opportunity to earn a high school diploma or high school equivalency certificate. A diploma or certificate can open up new employment and educational opportunities.

Our schools offer options that include, in-class, online, and hybrid learning opportunities.

Classes are offered day and evening.

Schools offer free practice tests and may have programs to help with HiSET/GED testing costs.

Speak to a counselor to evaluate your transcripts and determine which option is best for you.

Classes are free!!

High School Equivalency Resources

There are two ways to earn a high school equivalency in California. You need to pass either the HiSET or GED. Once you pass one of these tests, California can issue you a high school equivalency certificate. 

Practice tests, preparation classes, and official testing are offered at many of our LARAEC school sites. 

To find our more about high school equivalency tests, use these links: 

GED Testing Service

HiSET Exam

What is the difference between a high school diploma and the GED? 


LARAEC member districts offer free comprehensive citizenship programs that are designed to help students maneuver through the entire application process. Citizenship classes include instruction in US civics, history, and government. Instructors help students complete and submit their citizenship applications as well as prepare them to pass the official citizenship test.


Preparation for the citizenship interview is also included in the citizenship class. Practice is embedded throughout the course and especially after the applicant has submitted the citizenship application and is waiting for the citizenship interview. Teachers work with students on written dictation and answering questions for the oral interview. Our expert Citizenship teachers take pride in giving their students the best chance to make it through the process and pass the test! Find a class near you!

Your Career Starts Here