California Competes, in their study Get Ready, found that 19 percent of California adults (5.1 million) over 25 years old intend to enroll in higher education over the next several years. Their research gives readers a sense the demographics of these students and where they intend to enroll.
Some notable data from the study includes:
- One-third of Latinx adults intend to enroll in higher education
- Adults ages 25-34 have the greatest intent to enroll (37%)
- Most intending adults have household incomes $35,000 – $75,000
- Men (10%) and those over 55 yrs (11%) are more likely to select a vocational or technical school.
- Overall 15% would like online learning, with women, those under 44, and lower income individuals more likely to chose this mode.
What does this mean for institutions and policy makers?
- Get ready for growth and welcoming adult learners
- Continue to improve online instruction
- Market existing programs to target audiences
- and More
The full article provides greater detail on the incoming adult learner population and detailed descriptions of how to prepare our institutions and expand our programs to meet the demand.
To read the full article, Get Ready: Introducing the Millions of Adults Planning to Enroll in College